Thursday 14 May 2009

Day 37 - Lanark to Glasgow








The pics from top: My start on Clyde Walkway where M74 crosses the Avon; my shadow whilst walking; First sight of the Highlands across Strathclyde industry; landmarks seen as I entered Glasgow city centre.

Day 37 Monday May 11th. I had greatly enjoyed my rest day with Lindsey in the beautiful surroundings of New Lanark - everything had gone beautifully. John had walked half way to Glasgow with his pack, then taken the train in and relaxed in his hotel overnight. He then returned today, without his pack which is a lot easier on his legs, to the half way point and completed his walk.
I was held up till 8.30 as I needed the OS map of Glasgow for the route, but bought one at Smith's, then LIndsey dropped off, a little tearfully, at the Crossford Hotel fifteen minutes later. The first few miles were along the A72, which wasn't very nice, but there wasnt a lot of traffic and there was enough of a footway, or grass verge, that it wasn't dangerous. It was very difficult finding a way into Glasgow that would avoid too much urban and the first half of this walk was mostly on streets and main roads. I just yomped it, walking fast with hardly a break until I got to the RIver Avon (the Scottish version) which had a path along it that joined the Clyde Walkway at Motherwell. The Clyde Walkway tracks the twists and turns of the river, so I had worked out a route that leaves the river where there is a more direct and acceptable route. The Walkway is not as attractive as some paths we have been on by canals or rivers, as it is surrounded by industry for much of the way and the vegetation is very weedy, including Japanese Knot Weed in quantity. However, at MOtherwell, the path goes through past strathclyde Loch which is now a huge aquatic centre with lot of people running,cycling and walking as well as sailing and rowing. My route then took me through Bothwell and Uddingston, which are rather nice: red sandstone towns with lots of attractive buildings and a nice atmosphere.
There followed a bit of country, with views to the hills of the north over an industrial landscape, then a stretch of urban mess before I rejoined the Clyde Walkway at Cambuslang. The weather has been beautiful yesterday and today and got quite hot - it is extraordinary that on Sat afternoon, it was very cold and sleeting!
I suddenly got a call from the Baccleugh Hotel, where we stayed in Moffatt, saying they'd found my iPHone charge that I'd left there. It was Clint, one of their managers, who called and he said that since I was in Glasgow, he'd bring it to me! We arranged to meet an hour later on the A74 at a railway station. This meant that I had to divert from the relatively scenic Walkway to the main A74 trunk road into Glasgow which is anything but attractive. HOwever, it is very direct,so saved me a couple of miles. Clint arrived at the same time as I did, and gave me the charger, and I offered profuse thanks.
The walk into Glasgow along the A74 was very ordinary: a lot of redundant buildings, seedy looking bars and bookies and the Glasgow Celtic football ground. However, there was also evidence of quite a lot of urban regeneration in this east end of Glasgow that has always been the 'hard' end of town. As I approached the centre, however, things became much more vibrant, and there are a lot of very fine and interesting buildings throughout the city. Since it was cleaned up around the time when Glasgow was one of the first European Cities of Culture, Glasgow has really come alive and is now a lovely vibrant city with a sort of fun atmosphere - very different from its dour and industrial past.
By 5pm, I was at Central Station, where I located a B&B at Kelvin Grove right on our route for tomorrow and walked the last couple of miles there. Later on I happened on an Indian restaurant on Sauchihall Street called 'Mother India' that was extraordinarily good. Downstairs it is quite smart, but upstairs, it verges on the gothic, with dark wood and candelbras on the tables. The food is quite unique and excellent, so if you're in Glasgow, worth a visit.
The day was one big yomp - hard work and not a lot of fun, but I covered the 24 miles in 8 and a half hours which at least got it over with. Now we can look forward to The West Highland Way and some great scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment